Thursday, July 9, 2009

You would think I have time to keep up this blog.

Nearly two months since my last posting. Where does the time go?

In the month of May I moved around furniture in nearly every room of my home. Stephanie moved into an apartment over the mountains in Buena Vista, which made her bedroom and its furniture available. We finally fixed the electrical problem in her bedroom - it was caused by some idiot reversing the polarity on the first outlet in a series, and when it shorted out, the rest of the room was dead too. A couple of new outlets and everything was as good as new. Since the repair didn't involve tearing out drywall, the way was clear to paint her bedroom - now a bedroom for Steve and I. Steve gets the closet all to himself because my stuff is still taking up all the closet space in our former bedroom, now an office. When Pam moves out to go to college , Steve and I will move into her bedroom, and the room we now occupy will become a guest room. For the first time in 3 years, Steve and I now have a door on our bedroom and for the first time in 10 years we have a ceiling fan in our room.

Now that all the computers and desks are in the office, I actually have a living room! Just bookshelves and places to quietly sit and think. The piano is still in there, of course, and now the instruments can come out of the closet. Maybe they will be played more often now that they are visible. We also have a small fish tank in there, but no fish in it yet. And no phone - so it is a place to read comfortably or have uninterrupted adult conversations.

In the month of June, I was assigned to attend a career workshop so my days were full. I learned some valuable information, especially concerning how things have changed over the last 20 years. Instead of having one resume, employers expect your resume only to address the particular job you are applying for. They like them short and succinct.

I am also taking advantage of our Medicaid coverage and taking the kids to the doctor and dentist. Wendy has been approved for braces, and got her top braces installed this week. They all went to get their teeth cleaned for the first time since moving to VA, and all three have no cavities - great news.

So far the summer has been very busy. The week after the kids got out of school, they took a trip with the youth from our ward to Washington DC to do temple work and see some sights. The next week, Pam and Wendy went with a larger group of youth from our stake to Palmyra. They saw the temple there and visited church historical sights there, including a testimony meeting in the sacred grove. Pam spent the following week in Buena Vista at EFY, and then David went off to Boy Scout camp for a week in the Blue Ridge Mountains after she got home. David has been seizure free for more than a year now and he got to enjoy all of the activites at camp without restrictions. He has two months left to be active in his troop to qualify for his Star rank, and is well on his way for his life rank. He received his rowing and swimming merit badges and has a couple of partial badges to work on. Wendy went over to her friend Kaziah's house and rode horses in the country all this week. Next week Wendy is off to EFY, and we have one week where we are all together before the girls and I go to Young Women Camp for a week. Things will slow down in August until the kids go back to school and Steve starts classes in the Engineering Program at CVCC on scholarship.

I hope to spend time this summer painting the foyers, landings and gallery of the house, and possible the living room if there is enough paint remaining. There is still piles of stuff needing to be gone through and stored in the attic. My goal is to have the sunroom cleaned out before Christmas. Most importantly, I am hunting for a job daily and learning how to adjust to the lifestyle of a diabetic. I am changing the family's diet, and we are working out every day at the YMCA, where we received a scholarship toward membership. We all need to get out and moving around for our health, and the YMCA makes it easy and convenient.

I have become increasingly aware of the passage of time. It seems to just whoosh by and I constantly feel behind. I don't know how much of this feeling is real, and how much is just a perception of age because I have always felt this way in varying degrees my whole life. Too much to do and not enough time to do it all. I have learned lessons about prioritizing and delegating, sometime painfully so, yet still time marches on leaving my list of things to accomplish longer. For every thing that I cross off the list, three seem to take its place.

No comments:

Post a Comment